The Volleyball Australia (VA) Athlete Categorisation Guidelines are in support of the Australian Institute of Sport’s (AIS) drive to reposition Australia as a world leader in elite sport performance.
VA has worked in conjunction with the AIS to develop Athlete Categories that help identify the athletes with the greatest potential for podium success at Olympic and Paralympic level and track performances over time to inform prioritisation of support for these athletes.
*VA has developed a sport-specific matrix, in collaboration with the AIS Performance Pathways Team (and SIS/SAS partners where appropriate), that defines each of the five categorisation levels:
- Podium: Athletes have won a medal at an Olympic/Paralympic Games, World Championships or agreed event in the previous 24 months
- Podium Ready: Athletes that have been 4th– 8th at the most recent Olympic/ Paralympic Games or Senior World Championships, and/or Top 8 on the FIVB world rankings at the time of categorisation
- Podium Potential: Senior athletes that have achieved defined international competition performance benchmarks that reliably confirm their world standard.
- Developing: Athletes that have progressed through a reliable national talent confirmation phase in a high-quality training environment, including achievement of relevant international competitions performance outcomes.
- Emerging: Athletes who have been identified by Volleyball Australia via a valid and reliable talent identification profiling method and are going through a set, time-limited talent confirmation period in a high-quality training environment.
*More information can be found in the 2021-2024 Volleyball Australia Athlete Categorisation Policy