Unique format set to revolutionise new competition
The Scape Australian Volleyball Super League is taking the sport to another level with exciting rule adjustments sure to keep players and fans engaged to the action-packed format.
So what can you expect to see when the competition gets underway on Saturday? Let’s take a look…
POINTS & SETS
During the home-or-away rounds:
- each match must be played to a full five sets
- a set is won by scoring 18 points – a two-point margin is not necessary
- sets and points will be used on countback to determine overall rankings, meaning even in a loss, every rally counts
During the finals series:
- each match is played to best-of-five sets
- a set is won by scoring 18 points with a two-point margin
When a team uses a POWERPLAY, they can earn double points for their next three rallies, however there are some limitations:
- each team only has three POWERPLAYS to use in the match
- only one POWERPLAY can be used per set, per team
- POWERPLAYS cannot be activated after scoring 11 points in a set
In an interesting twist, both teams can use a POWERPLAY at the same time.
There are NO timeouts in the Scape Australian Volleyball Super League.
The break between sets is limited to two minutes.
This format is set to allow fans in the stands and streaming the matches live to enjoy a men’s and women’s fixture in a three-hour window.
Each set won gives a team two competition points.
A bonus competition point is earned by winning with a total of 20 or more points than their opposition.
A bonus competition point is earned by losing, but coming within 10 or less points of their opponent.
HOW TO WATCH
The best way to see the Scape Australian Volleyball Super League is by grabbing a ticket and catching the action in the stands. Visit your favourite team’s website for more details.If you can’t be there, every game will be streamed live on SBS On Demand or Cluch TV. Click here to see where each match will be streamed.